Is Elemis cruelty-free? Does the brand test on animals, are they vegan, do they sell in China, and what is their current cruelty-free status?
Is Elemis Cruelty-Free?
Are Elemis products cruelty-free? No, Elemis is not cruelty-free. Elemis products are sold in countries where animal testing is required by law.
Animal Testing for Cosmetic Products
The cosmetic industry is massive and brings in over $500 billion in revenue every year. With this amount of money on the line, cosmetic companies must ensure that their products are safe for human use.
Unfortunately, the way that many of these products are tested results in the death and injury of millions of animals. As a consumer, it’s important to understand where your beauty products come from and ensure they align with your values.
Animal Testing and the Cosmetics Industry
Animal testing has been used in the cosmetic industry for nearly 100 years. The most common animals used in cosmetic product testing are rats, mice, rabbits, and guinea pigs.
Some examples of animal testing include:
- Rubbing the product on shaved skin to see if there will be a rash or other allergic reaction.
- Applying cosmetics around or directly in the eye to test if the product will cause irritation.
- Forcing ingestion over a set amount of time to see if there will be any long-lasting effects such as cancer, birth defects, or other chronic illnesses.
- Giving increasingly large quantities of a substance to determine what amount is harmful or even lethal.
Typically, the animals used in these tests receive no pain relief or medication. Animals who are injured beyond their usefulness in a lab are usually euthanized.
The good news is that more and more companies are moving away from testing that involves animals. Many of the non-animal tests available today are more accurate, faster, and safer than traditional animal testing.
Does Elemis Test On Animals?
Elemis products are sold in mainland China where animal testing is required by law.
Is Elemis vegan?
Is Elemis vegan? No, Elemis products are not 100% vegan meaning some of their products contain ingredients derived from animals or animal by-products.
Vegan and Cruelty-Free: What’s the Difference?
While many people use the terms vegan and cruelty-free interchangeably, there is a distinct difference. If you are going to make an informed decision about the products that you purchase and consume, it’s important to understand the terminology and exactly what you are buying.
If a product is vegan, there will be no animal-derived products found on the ingredient label. Some animal products can be easily spotted such as beeswax and milk protein. Other animal products are not so obvious such as collagen, keratin, and lanolin. Look for products that are clearly labeled as vegan to avoid accidentally purchasing cosmetics that contain animal products.
The process by which a product is tested will determine whether it is cruelty-free or not. Only products that have not been tested on animals can be labeled as cruelty-free.
Keep in mind that just because a product is vegan or cruelty-free does not mean they are both. Vegan refers only to the ingredients and cruelty-free only refers to the testing process.
It’s possible for a product to be vegan and not cruelty-free. Likewise, a product can be cruelty-free and not vegan. For example, you could purchase an eyeliner that contains no animal products but was tested on animals.
Elemis animal testing policy
The Elemis animal testing policy states:
ELEMIS do not test on animals and does not use animal bi-products apart from honey, beeswax and milk proteins.”
Is Animal Testing Ethical?
This can be a landmine of a question depending on who you ask. Some people argue that animal testing is perfectly fine since you are using it to ensure no further suffering in humans.
Others will argue that no level of benefit will ever justify the pain and suffering that these animals are subjected to. This is a decision that every person will have to make on their own.
Is Elemis owned by a parent company?
Who owns Elemis? Elemis is owned by L’Occitane, a parent company that tests on animals.
Is Elemis sold in China?
Does Elemis sell in China? Yes, Elemis is sold in mainland China where animal testing is required by law.
Is Elemis palm oil free?
Does Elemis use palm oil in their products? Yes, Elemis products contain palm oil which means they are not 100% palm oil free.
Are Cruelty-Free Brands with Parent Companies Still Ethical?
As demand increases for cruelty-free products, more and more brands are emerging. Major companies are stepping up to the plate to provide their own versions of cruelty-free products to consumers.
While this is a step in the right direction, there are concerns with purchasing products from these conglomerates. In many cases, these companies still engage in harmful activities such as animal testing and unethically sourced ingredients. It’s critical for the ethically conscious consumer to know how to find the best options.
Elemis Falls Into One Or More Of The Following Categories:
- Their finished products have been tested on animals
- They have outsourced or commissioned animal testing to third parties
- Their products are sold in mainland China
- Their products are sold in countries where animal testing is required by law
- The individual ingredients in their products have been tested on animals at some point
Cruelty-Free Brands with Parent Companies
Major corporations can own and operate dozens of different brands. This means that a parent company may own a wide variety of cruelty-free brands alongside other brands that test their products on animals. This can be a conflicting position for people who are genuinely interested in purchasing ethically sourced products.
On a positive note, the creation of cruelty-free brands and products means that the parent company recognizes the need to offer these items. By purchasing them, you are sending the company a message that they should continue this behavior. On the other hand, rewarding a company that has a dark side can also have negative consequences.
Consumers should focus on finding an entirely ethical brand first. If one isn’t available, they can then purchase from brands owned by a parent company.
Should Animal Testing be Banned?
The European Union, India, Israel, and Norway have banned animal testing and imported cosmetics that have been tested on animals. Several other countries have proposed similar legislation so this list is likely to grow.
If you believe that animal testing should be banned, there are things that you can do to shape the future of the cosmetics industry. First, you can decide to purchase only vegan and cruelty-free products.
If people stop buying unethical products, companies will stop producing them. Next, encourage your local representatives to propose legislation or support any cruelty-free legislation that is pending approval.
Finally, be sure to educate your friends and family about animal tested products.
Want more? Check out our current list of cruelty-free brands.
Looking for beauty brands selling vegan products only?
Next article: Is Stila Cruelty-Free Cruelty-Free?
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Is Elemis cruelty-free and vegan?
Sharing on social media helps spread the word!
Elemis Products – What Do They Sell?
Elemis sells skincare like the Elemis Pro Collagen Marine Cream, Cleansing Balm, Superfood, Superfood Night Cream, Veggie Mask, Eye Cream, Superfood Facial Oil, Face Wash, Cleanser, Mask, Face Oil, and the Elemis Rose Cleansing Balm.
The following products are not cruelty-free:
Pro Collagen Range
- Pro-collagen Marine Cream Spf 30
- Pro-collagen Energising Marine Cleanser
- Pro-collagen Tri-acid Peel
- Pro-collagen Eye Revive Mask
- Pro-collagen Favourites
- Pro-collagen Rose Cleansing Balm
- Pro-collagen Oxygenating Night Cream
- Pro-collagen Cleansing Balm
- Pro-collagen Overnight Matrix
- Ultra Smart Pro-collagen Enviro-adapt Day Cream
- Pro-collagen Marine Cream
- Pro-collagen Eye Renewal
- Pro-collagen Rose Facial Oil
- Pro-collagen Neck & Décolleté Balm
- Pro-collagen Marine Mask
- Pro-collagen Marine Cream Ultra-rich
- Pro-collagen Definition Night Cream
- Pro-collagen Duo
- Ultimate Pro-collagen Day & Night Duo
- Pro-collagen Rose Hydro-mist
- Pro-collagen Day & Night Duo
- Pro-collagen Marine Cream Spf 30 Duo
- Ultra Smart Pro-collagen Pure Brilliance Collection
- Ultra Smart Pro-collagen Aqua Infusion Mask
- Pro-collagen Insta-smooth Primer
- Pro-collagen Definition Lifting & Firming Duo
- Ultra Smart Pro-collagen Complex 12 Serum
- Ultra Smart Pro-collagen Eye Treatment Duo
- Pro-collagen Definition Face & Neck Serum
- See The Difference Pro-collagen Eye Duo
- Pro-collagen Marine Oil
- Pro-collagen Definition Facial Oil
- Online Exclusive Pro-collagen Essentials Collection
- Pro-collagen Super Serum Elixir
- Pro-collagen Definition Day Cream
- Pro-collagen Definition Eye & Lip Contour Cream
- Pro-collagen Quartz Lift Serum
- Pro-collagen Hydra-gel Eye Masks
- Pro-collagen Advanced Eye Treatment
- PRO-COLLAGEN BEAUTY BAUBLE
- ULTRA SMART Pro-Collagen Enviro-Adapt Day Cream
- Pro-Collagen Marine Cream SPF 30
- Dynamic Resurfacing Day Cream SPF30
- Skin smoothing day cream with SPF30
- Superfood Day Cream
- Pro-Collagen Marine Cream
- Anti-Wrinkle Day Cream
- Pro-Collagen Marine Cream Ultra-Rich
- Anti-Wrinkle Rich Day Cream
- Superfood Glow Priming Moisturiser
- Kombucha Glow Moisturiser
- Peptide4 Adaptive Day Cream
- Skin Perfecting Day Cream
- Superfood Night Cream
- Prebiotic Night Cream
- Superfood Cica Calm Hydration Juice
- Super Hydrating Gel
- Pro-Radiance Illuminating Flash Balm
- Skin Radiance Balm
- Pro-Collagen Oxygenating Night Cream
- Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream
- Pro-Collagen Overnight Matrix
- Wrinkle Smoothing Night Cream
- Pro-Collagen Definition Night Cream
- Redefining Night Cream
- Hydra-Balance Day Cream
- Day Cream for Combination Skin
- Pro-Collagen Day & Night Duo
- Online Exclusive Collection
- Ultra-Conditioning Lip Balm
- BIOTEC Skin Energising Cleanser
- Skin Activating Cleanser
- Dynamic Resurfacing Night Cream
- Skin smoothing night cream
- Daily Moisture Boost
- Hydrating day lotion
- Pro-Collagen Duo
- Pro-Collagen Insta-Smooth Primer
- Daily Defense Shield SPF 30
- Broad Spectrum Protection SPF 30 Sunscreen
- Pro-Collagen Rose Hydro-Mist
- Pro-Collagen Definition Face & Neck Serum
- Hydra-Boost Day Cream
- S.O.S Emergency Cream
- Pro-Collagen Definition Day Cream
- BIOTEC Skin Energising Day Cream
- Ultimate Pro-Collagen Day & Night Duo
- Pro-Collagen Marine Cream SPF 30 Duo
Cleansers & Toners
- TRIPLE CLEANSE TRAVEL TRIO
- Superfood Sensations
- Pro-Collagen Beauty Bauble
- Pro-Collagen Neroli Cleansing Balm
- Superfood Kefir Tea Mist
- Superfood AHA Glow Cleansing Butter
- Pro-Collagen Energising Marine Cleanser
- Pro-Collagen Rose Cleansing Balm
- Dynamic Resurfacing Facial Wash
- Dynamic Resurfacing Facial Pads
- Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm
- Superfood Facial Wash
- Superfood Cica Calm Cleansing Foam
- Nourishing Omega-Rich Cleansing Oil
- Pro-Radiance Cream Cleanser
- Deep Cleanse Facial Wash
- White Flowers Eye & Lip Make-Up Remover
- Soothing Apricot Toner
- Rehydrating Rosepetal Cleanser
- Rehydrating Ginseng Toner
- Gentle Foaming Facial Wash
- Cleansing Micellar Water
- Balancing Lime Blossom Cleanser
- Balancing Lavender Toner
- Pro-Collagen Rose Hydro-Mist
- Cleansing Favourites
- Sensitive Cleansing Wash
Looking for a list of cruelty-free brands?
Shop for vegan and cruelty-free shoes here.